Yes, this is a rip-off of Papa John. I'm a big fan but most of the time I don't feel like ordering in. It's a weird form of lazyness, I don't like answering the door. I can highly recommend them though, I love the American Hot pizza.
So I assume it's called American Hot because it's a classic American pizza with peperoni but them with jalapenos.
The pizza in itself isn't very innovative but the combination is just really nice. Also, their garlic buttersauce is amazing! Not everybody loves it but I'm a big fan.
The sauce they make is vega, but I use just butter. It's not completely the same of course but the flavour comes really close. It's so easy to make. You need clarified butter, so let the butter melt and then scoop off the white foam.
Don't use ghee because that has a really nutty flavour we don't want here.
I saw my recipe for my sourdough pizzabase is being visited a lot so I wanted to make that recipe myself again. You could of course buy a premade dough but you would likely not get a fluffy crust like this.
American hot pizza
- 1 2 pizza bases
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 150 grams grated mozzarella
- 100 grams peperoni
- 2 jalapeno's, sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Voor de knoflooksaus
- 100 grams butter
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees with the baking sheet reversed. We'll use that as a pizza stone.
- Dust a big cuttingboard with flower and shape your pizza. Shake occasionally to see of nothing sticks.
- Mix the tomato puree with the tomato cubes and the oregano. Divide over the pizza's.
- Then divide the cheese, peperonu and jalapeno. Swifly transfer the pizza directly onto the baking sheet and bake for 5 to 8 minutes. Repeat.
- In the meantime you can make the sauce by melting the butter, remove the top foamy part and mix with the garlic powder and salt. Serve with the pizza's.