It's a mouthful, this title! My husband really wants to eat lowcarb again and despite bell pepper being a vegetable with relatively a lot of carbs this is an ideal lowcarb meal. I only use 2 bell peppers for the entire sauce.
Creamy bell pepper sauce
So you have to grill the bell peppers firt or, just like I did, use a jar of grilled bell peppers. I drain them and blend them with some herbs into a sauce.
This sauce has more of a kick than the regular tomato sauce. I love it.
During cooking I thought this must be really nice with some spaghetti so I boiled some spaghetti and I was right. Amazing!
Back to lowcarb though, I served this chicken with a lovely broccoli gratin and that was highly appreciated.
Chicken stuffed with mozzarella in a creamy bell pepper sauce
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 ball mozzarella
- 1 jar of grilled red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- handfull fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 30 ml heavy cream
- pepper and salt
- some oil for frying the chicken
- Carefully slit the chicken open. Cut the mozzarella in slices and stuff the chicken. You can use skewers to close the chicken up. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a blender puree the bell peppers, garlic, basil and oregano to a sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a frying pan and bake the chicken on both sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan.
- Add the bell pepper sauce to the pan and let this simmer for a minute, then add the heavy cream and stir. Put the chicken back in the sauce and let simmer, with lid, until cooked. This took about 5 minutes.
- Serve with extra basil and sauce, veggies, spaghetti or some bread.