Yes, this is a classic dish but the preparation is a bit different than you might think. Another recipe with salmon and spinach is this spaghetti, this is with a goatcheese sauce and is also very tasty.
Use a hollow pasta for this dish. Normally I always prefer spaghetti for all my pasta dishes but for this I must admit that hollow pasta is the way to go.
I mix everything in 1 pan, add the cooked pasta, top it off with cheese and bake it in the oven. The sauce is thin when it goes into the oven, think heavy cream, bit this will thicken during baking.
I use smoked salmon for this dish but it cooks in the sauce. I love cooked smoked salmon.
Heating it up?
If you want to heat up leftovers then stay away from the microwave. Heat up a skillet with a layer of water, add the pasta. The water will heat up the pasta and makes the sauce creamy again.
Creamy penne with spinach and salmon
- 150 grams penne
- 200 grams creamcheese
- 150 ml chickenstock
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 grams fresh spinach
- 100 grams smoked salmon, cut in strips
- 50 grams grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Heat up a pan of salted water and boil the penne until al dente.
- In the meantine heat up a skillet with the creamcheese and the chickenstock and whisk until there's no lumps.
- Then add the spinach and salmon and stir until the spinach has wilted. Let the sauce simmer until the pasta had cooked.
- The sauce is pretty thin, like heavy cream, when you add the pasta. Mix everything together, season with chiliflakes, pepper and salt.
- Divide the cheese on top of the pasta and bake in the oven until the cheese has melted, for about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately