Harissa is a spicy sauce from Tunisia. You can use it in many many dishes.
As is always the case with traditional dishes, there are many variations. I like spicy so for instance I remove the seeds from only half the peppers. If you like a more mild sauce, remove all the seeds.
Dried red peppers
Please by your dried red peppers at a local oriental supermarket. They're so much cheaper! It's insane!
Food processor versus mortar
You could make this in a mortar but that's takes way more time than using a food processor, So yeah, even though you see a mortar on the photo, I made this using a food processor!
- 30 grams dried red chili's
- 1 teaspoon koriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 blikje tomato puree a 70 grams
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Let your dried chili's sit in hot water for about 30 minutes.
- Roast the cumin and coriander seeds.
- Put the spices together with the paprika powder, garlic, lemon juice and tomato puree in the food processor.
- Drain the chili's but save the liquid. Add the chili's to the food processor and whizz.
- Gradually add the oil. Add some of the chili liquid if it's still too thick.
- Breng als laatste op smaak met zout en suiker. Bewaar in de koelkast.