Pasta alfredo, it's a lesser known dish in the Netherlands but I know people eat it a lot in the U.S.
This is not a classic alfredo, in the classic goes a lot of butter, heavy cream and Parmesan. I made this loads lighter and added less butter, milk and still Parmesan becaus cheese.
Furthermore I added chicken and mushrooms for some more sustenance and I put the whole thing in the oven with some mozzarella.
The only thing you need to be careful with is that the sauce shouldn't be too thick when this dish goed into the oven. It thickens up in the oven so the sauce should be a bit thinner than you would like.
Pasta “alfredo” uit de oven.
- 300 grams pene
- 2 chicken fillets, diced.
- 500 grams mushrooms, cut in slices.
- 1 knob butter
- 200 ml milk (but keep more handy)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 90 grams parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 75 grams mozzarella, grated
- pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Boil the pene to al dente according to the instructions on the box.
- Heat up a knob of butter, bake the (seasoned with pepper and salt) chicken until cooked and remove from the pan. Than bake the mushrooms until brown, add the garlic and stir.
- Pour the milk in the pan and add the Parmesan and Italian herbs. Stir until the cheese has melted. Then add chicken and pene to the pan. Is your sauce too thin, let it cook for a bit. Too thick, add some more milk.
- Taste and possibly add some more pepper and salt.
- Put the pasta in an ovendish and top it off with mozzarella. Bake until the mozzarella has melted and is bubbly.